As touched on previously, I’m on a little journey to expand my methods and try new things with knitting. As someone who learned to as a child I have continued to knit my way through life. However, I’ve been stuck in a rut of knitting the original way I first experienced which usually involves seamed bottom up garments and knitting on DPNs when in the round. As I absolutely love knitting it occurred to me last year to try and learn some new tricks, mix up the cast ons, do different edging, try different types of colour work ad infinitum. Oh and magic loop, icord, steeking, somebody stop me!
This may seem like a basic thing to a lot of knitters out there but currently I’m working on my first top down raglan cardigan on a single circular needle. I had no clue that knitting back and forth and not just in the round was something one could do. What have I been missing all this time? One of the many benefits of this is not holding the weight of the work and getting the body down in one which is awesome.
I found a free pattern online and have made the necessary adjustments for my size and also I’m reshaping it to be A-line as anything boxy or straight up and down emphasises my top heaviness.
I’m using the beautiful Drops Big Delight in Chocolate Banana though it doesn’t look like the true hue in this picture which is a bit overexposed but this is where I’m up to currently with it:
The needles I’m using are from my Knitpro Symfonie Cubics interchangeable set, they give me less hand cramping I find as I get a lot of swelling in this area which can make dexterity difficult at times but these enable me to knit for longer and I’d happily recommend them if you have similar issues. There was a point a couple of years ago I thought I’d not be able to knit too well again but all these little things help and the lack of weight on the needles when the work is on the cable is a game changer for me.
I will update this post later when I’m a bit further on with it and to show the colours a bit better **
**Edited to add finished photos**
As you can see, my in-progress photo didn’t capture the colours very well and this is more of a true representation of what they are. I added these buttons for the fastening and made the loops using a knitting dolly: